Re: issue-202: asserting the dataset's metadata conforms to certain standards

Hi Riccardo,

Sorry for the late response. I hope someone would chime in, to approve or object...

The way to represent standards themselves, the example for :geoDCAT-AP seems fine (maybe others will have some more input on this).

What puzzle me is the property dqv:hasMetadataConformingTo
It does do the job, but it's quite an indirect statement to attach to a dataset. I mean, what is conformant with GeoDCAT-AP is the metadata, not the dataset itself.
It could be that in another databse, the dataset description wouldn't be conformant.

Of course if the requirement is to indicate something like "somewhere the dataset has a description that complies with GeoDCAT-AP", then dqv:hasMetadataConformingTo is ok.
But I'm feeling this could be only a near-match to a data consumer need. I mean, I think they should get this information only when looking at a specific piece of metadata that represents the dataset, not "in general".
Actually the proposal could be harmful if a data consumers happen to have metadata that don't conform to GeoDCAT-AP

So before we make a decision I think we should at least have a look at the existing mechanism in DCAT for metadata (catalogues)
http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/#class-catalog-record

If I understand it well it would be something like

:mydataset a dcat:Dataset;

:mydatasetRecordInCatalogueX a dcat:DatasetRecord;
  foaf:primaryTopic :myDataset
  dcterms:conformsTo :geoDCATAP.

This somehow assumes that there is a definition of the catalogue X as a dcat:Catalogue somewhere.
This is rather more complex, but as already hinted, I believe the original requirement makes sense if the data consumer looks at a specific piece of metadata, that's likely to be provided by a concrete dataset catalogue.

The solution has also the benefit that we don't have to sub-property dcterms:conformsTo with a new DQV property :-)

Cheers,

Antoine