Re: NY Property Tax Explorer

Two thoughts:

1) What I think is interesting about this discussion is that there seems to
be an underlying issue of the importance of a data format in human or
machine context.  In some research communities such as chemical imaging a
research paper (human readable) with a graphics plot of an experiment
(human interpretable) are absolutely necessary for studies.  Its a slow but
trusted process.  However the researcher is also highly dependent on web
based capabilities search based on certain citation and keyword
criteria.    From a data usage vocabulary perspective I can't help but
think that we need "FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION ONLY" labels (okay silly label,
but just trying to make a point) to describe data usage techniques
available for certain datasets.

2) As we think about formats such as PDF fifty years into the future, we do
need to think about the best practices to interpret them.  There are
efforts such as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Format_Description_Language that have
been addressing what you do with specialized forms of data.  Last year I
just got done recovering scientific algorithms written in FORTRAN77 from
a magnetic tape reel written 25 years earlier.    Even text isn't so easy
recovering, thank goodness I knew I was looking for FORTRAN77.

Eric S