Re: The 5 stars path

Hi,

Great discussion on Linked vs. non-Linked Data. I agree with latest
comments on this thread saying both should live side-by-side (I'm
paraphrasing :))

csv, json, REST APIs, etc. are the bread and butter of Data on the Web,
and aren't going away anytime soon.

Yet to achieve the interoperability and interlinking that we all want,
standards and vocabs are very important - dcat, prov-o, foaf, sioc,
etc., which all happen to be in RDF

So, to go back to a point Makx made in his original post to biased
Linked Data thread "Great, but what people really want to know is, how?
And they want to see how others are using PROV-O in practice"

This is what I'd look for in best practices - how can I make good
data-on-the-web choices, use the defacto standards and vocabs, many of
which are in RDF, but use them side-by-side with my non-Linked Data
technologies - my csv datasets and systems that use REST to access data,
not SPARQL.

I guess I'm saying, I agree we should stay general for BPs, but give
some practical help along with our recommendations to ensure people can
get the benefits of Linked Data when useful.

Cheers,
Deirdre

On 24/03/2015 14:18, Steven Adler wrote:

> Rating a dataset is only valuable if records within the dataset have
> ratings whose sum or average validates the dataset rating.  That is,
> there has to be provenance to the ratings.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Steve
>
> Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"
>
> Inactive hide details for Bernadette Farias Lóscio ---03/24/2015
> 10:11:38 AM---Hi all, Thanks for the great discussion!Bernadette
> Farias Lóscio ---03/24/2015 10:11:38 AM---Hi all, Thanks for the great
> discussion!

> Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>

> Eric Stephan <ericphb@gmail.com>

> Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, Laufer <laufer@globo.com>, Christophe
> Guéret <christophe.gueret@dans.knaw.nl>, DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>

> 03/24/2015 10:11 AM

> Re: The 5 stars path

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the great discussion!
>
> I like the idea of having a star rating discussion, but we need to be
> aware that publishing data on the Web is more than just publishing
> data and metadata. It also concerns issues like data access and feedback.
>
> I've been thinking a lot about this rating system and it would be
> great to consider all aspects related to data on the Web (ex: data
> format, metadata, identifiers, data access, feedback, versioning...),
> but I'm bot sure if this is the best choice. Maybe, we can have a
> rating system based just on data and metadata, which is similar to the
> initial proposal of Phil.
>
> Cheers,
> Bernadette

> <mailto:ericphb@gmail.com>>:
>
>     Wow what a wonderful thread to read.  Thank you Phil!  Many many
>     thanks for this wonderful note of clarity!
>
>     >>if Eric and Annette can provide similar examples for NetCDF that
>     would be terrific (I'm out of my depth here).
>
>     Yes I think we can show this quite easily.  Just off the top of my
>     heads.
>
>     NetCDF:
>        - is an open format for storing multi-dimensional data streams
>     [NETCDF]
>        - can be annotated with self describing metadata (called
>     attributes)
>        - has existing conventions for representing different forms of
>     data.  E.g. CF convention.
>        - has a CF vocabulary [CFNAMES] for curated climate and
>     forecasting terminology.
>        - In addition the climate community within the Earth System
>     Grid (ESG) has adopted fully documented protocols [CMIP5] to show
>     how regional and climate model datasets must be organized so that
>     they can be inter-related to support regional and global climate
>     studies.
>       - Leverages existing ISO standards used in the geospatial,
>     dublin core, and metadata communities.
>        - Finally an ontology was developed by NASA JPL called SWEET
>     [SWEET], there is previous research showing how the CF terms can
>     inter-related.

> [...]

Deirdre Lee, Director
Derilinx - Linked & Open Data Solutions

Web:      www.derilinx.com
Email:    deirdre@derilinx.com
Tel:      +353 (0)1 254 4316
Mob:      +353 (0)87 417 2318
Linkedin: ie.linkedin.com/in/leedeirdre/
Twitter:  @derilinx