From: Herbert Van de Sompel [mailto:hvdsomp@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:41 PM
To: public-dwbp-wg@w3.org
Cc: Herbert Van de Sompel
Subject: Re: versioning

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 8:29 AM,  <Manuel.CARRASCO-BENITEZ@ec.europa.eu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Warning regarding Memento: the more programs one has to go through to get to the data, the
> harder the long-term preservation.

I am not sure I understand this comment. Memento is not a program. It
is an HTTP-based mechanism to access resource versions. And Memento is
not about preservation but, in some cases (eg web archives), is used
as the protocol to access preserved materials.

> Disclaimer: I like Memento -:). I was in a presentation a few years ago; I think it was a IETF meeting > is Maastricht.

I did a tiny presentation on Memento at the Maastricht IETF indeed. It
was very early days of the protocol. It eventually took 4 years and a
lot of testing and interactions with varies parties to finalize the
protocol specification.

Cheers

Herbert