Re: Invitation for public review of DCAT-AP

Phil,

I enjoyed reading this paper.  It is well written, concise, and well
structured.  But it reads more like a glossary of terms than a description
of how a standard works, can be used, and implemented.  I wish the paper
offered living examples of how DCAT-AP would work in real life - to give
readers themselves more context about the standard and its impact on data.

Thanks for sharing Makx!

Best Regards,

Steve

Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>                                                                                                                        |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>, "'Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group'" <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |07/04/2015 07:44 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: Invitation for public review of DCAT-AP                                                                                                       |

Thanks Makx,

It will be particularly interesting, IMO, for the WG to study how the AP
work has handled versioning.

For those who prefer URLs of the relevant documents rather than having
to look for them on the portal, they are:

The draft spec (PDF)

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/system/files/project/dcat-ap_revision_draft_5_v0.05.pdf

Or in docx
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/system/files/project/dcat-ap_revision_draft_5_v0.05.docx

The class diagram

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/system/files/project/revision_of_dcat-ap_draft_5_diagram.png

Phil.

On 04/07/2015 12:12, Makx Dekkers wrote:

> Please find below the invitation for the Public Review of the European
DCAT Application Profile. Feedback from this group will be highly
appreciated. Makx.

> You are kindly invited to review the proposed revision of the DCAT
Application Profile for data portals in Europe (DCAT-AP). The draft
revision can be downloaded from  <https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/137964>
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/137964. It is available for public review
until the 30th of August 2015.

> Please submit your feedback by sending comments and suggestions to
dcat_application_profile@joinup.ec.europa.eu <
mailto:dcat_application_profile@joinup.ec.europa.eu> . The feedback
received will be discussed by the DCAT-AP Revision Working Group in late
August and early September. Final publication of the revised Application
Profile is foreseen for September 2015.

> The DCAT-AP is a specification based on the Data Catalog Vocabulary
(DCAT) of W3C, which is an RDF vocabulary designed to facilitate
interoperability between data catalogues published on the Web. In the
Application Profile, additional classes and properties from other
well-known vocabularies have been re-used where necessary. The basic use
case of the DCAT-AP is to enable aggregation of and search for datasets
across data portals in Europe, thus making it easier to find public sector
datasets across borders and sectors.

> The DCAT-AP has been developed in the context of Action 1.1 – Improving
semantic interoperability in European eGovernment systems of the European
Commission’s Interoperability Solutions for European Public Administrations
(ISA) programme. The DCAT-AP is a joint initiative of two
Directorates-General of the European Commission, DG DIGIT (ISA Programme)
and DG CONNECT, together with the Publications Office of the EU. The
Publications Office chairs the DCAT-AP Revision Working Group.

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead

http://philarcher.org