BP 7, provide unique identifiers

From: Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:12:19 -0800
To: Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Looking at BP 7, I donít understand the idea. Iím wondering what we are defining as a ďdata resourceĒ. From the text, it seems we are using it in the sense of whatever is linked to. That seems fair, because datasets can be available as a single file or several files or by separate API requests for very specific queries, etc.  So, if a data resource is a data element that is linked to, then it is represented by a URL. The discussion of URNs is clearly out of scope for us, as they are not on the web. That leaves URLs, but then the best practice comes down to ensuring a unique URL for whatever has a URL. I think it would be impossible to not do that an still put something on the web. In the context of data on the web, I donít think much of this best practice is in scope, and the bit that is in scope is tautological.

Annette Greiner
NERSC Data and Analytics Services
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory