Re: Best Practice 4 (Document Metadata) - I agree to suppress it

Hi Annette,

First change should be to start talking about data models and not
vocabularies, because vocabularies are just a subset of data models that
for example nobody working with APIs has ever been using
(I know I'm starting to be quite tiresome - on purpose - with this, and I
am also threaten all you I will keep doing so until we rectify or somebody
else gives me a good argument on why we should keep as currently)

After I agree that we should emphasize (more) reuse of reference models
instead of developing new ones. Still, unfortunately, the number of
available reference models is limited yet (specially wrt vocabularies) so
it is not so unfrequent you may need to develop your new ones and thus the
rest of BPs remain relevant and necessary. So I think we should keep them,
but maybe explaining this should just be used in the case you can't re-use
an existing model and you are forced to create your own (or extend an
existing one)

With respect to the differences between BP3 and BP11 we are discussing that
extensively in other thread, but in brief the difference is between reusing
specific terms for your metadata and reusing full data models for your
data. Agree it should be a SHOULD for BP3. In fact it already is in the BP
title, but not in the content.

Best,
 CI.

On 21 January 2015 at 21:31, Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> > concerns something that has to be done by the data consumer, but this
> > action doesn't have a direct impact on data consumers. There is
> > another BP (Provide metadata) to say that this documentation should be
> > provided to data consumers. This BP should be more general than the
> > Document Vocabularies BP. The metadata documentation should just tell
> > the vocabularies that are used, instead of providing a complete
> > documentation for vocabularies.
> >
> > 2. Provide  metadata for both human and machines BP: data publishers
> > SHOULD document metadata in such a way that both humans and machines
> > can read. This BP complements the previous one because it says how
> > metadata should be documented.
> >
> > 3. Provide metadata BP: data publishers SHOULD provide metadata
> > documentation to data consumers. When you have the documentation, give
> > it to the data consumers.
> >
> > Does it make sense for you?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bernadette

> >> Hi, Carlos,

> >> Terms are parts of a vocabulary.
> >>
> >> And we will have a whole section about vocabularies.
> >>
> >> Metadata is documenting data. Then, metadata should be documented. These
> >> documents about metadata are metadata of metadata. We should take care
> about
> >> an infinite chain.
> >>
> >> If we talk about documents for machines, we are talking about
> vocabularies.
> >> And section 7.
> >> 4 will take care of this.
> >>
> >> If we are talking about humans, metadata is the documentation. Have a
> >> documentation about metadata is mandatory. If metadata does not have a
> >> documentation, it does not have a meaning. For example, If one says
> that the
> >> dataset has a GNU license, how this can be understood by a human if GNU
> is
> >> not documented? The meaning is the documentation and must exist if
> someone
> >> decides to refer to it.
> >>
> >> In respect to code lists, (maybe this is not the formal definition) I
> think
> >> they are a kind of type, or even a kind of vocabulary. Again, I think
> >> section 7.4 is a better candidate to talk about this.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Laufer

> are

> data as
> all

> we have
> one
> good
> consumers.

> bfl@cin.ufpe.br>

> >> --
> >

> > --
> > Bernadette Farias Lóscio
> > Centro de Informática
> > Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil

---