W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-dwbp-wg@w3.org > August 2015

Re: dwbp-ISSUE-166: Should the data vocabularies section be removed? [Best practices document(s)]

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:00:20 +0200
Message-ID: <55C4ABE4.3060905@few.vu.nl>
To: <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Hello Bernadette,

Not much feedback since then...
I'll try a quick shot.

Actually I'd tend to agree with you: I'm not sure that we should focus so much on creation of vocabulary. If just because this business has many methodologies around, and everyone has their own focus.

But this section is not very much about creating vocabularies per se. It's more about selecting/using vocabularies for publishing data, and publishing the vocabularies themselves (because they need to be properly published in order for others to re-use them). Which you appropriately take into account, I think, when you say that BPs 16/17/18 are in scope from your perspective.

Actually the word 'create' appears only once in the BPs: in BP 20. And there, it appears next to 're-use' and honestly I'd be more than ok keeping only the 're-use' word in this BP.

About BP 15 vs BP 19: in BP 15 'terms' refers to words in human language (well, I think - I was not the one writing this one). The other practices (BP 16-19) focus rather on the 'technical' resources (OWL classes and properties, SKOS concepts) that we construct. These artificial resources are the first-class citizens of the 'vocabularies' (OWL ontologies, SKOS concept schemes) defined in the intro of the section.

I think (again, to take with a pinch of salt) that BP 15 and BP19 reflect that there are many levels of interoperability/comparability: one rather technical (BP19) and one that rather focuses on explicitly grounding 'soft' semantics in the practices of given organizations or applications (BP15).

The problem is that we won't ever be able to have a crystal clear formulation because:
- 'term' is really the right notion to refer to the words and meanings as vehicled by natural languages [1]
- many people use 'terms' to refer to OWL classes and properties [2]
- natural language terms appear in the (artificial/technical/web) 'vocabularies' as the labels of the classes, properties, concepts that are in these vocabularies.

Cheers,

Antoine

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology
[2] http://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb/ontology

On 7/29/15 12:31 AM, Bernadette Farias Lóscio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In May we started a discussion about the Data Vocabularies section [1] and we couldn't reach a consensus [2]. It is really important that we come back to this discussion and reach consensus before the next DWBP draft's publication.
>
> I still think that the creation of vocabularies is out of the scope of the document. However, BP16(Document vocabularies), BP17(Share vocabularies in an open way) and BP18(Vocabulary versioning) are more related to the publication of vocabularies than to the creation. In this case, maybe we could keep these BP and change a little bit the introduction of the section to say that BP are related just to the usage and publication of vocabularies. Then, in this case BP20(Choose the right formalization level) should be removed.
>
> I also want to discuss the relationship between BP15(Use standardized terms) and BP19(Re-use vocabularies). I am not sure if we should talk about the use of standardized terms or the re-use of vocabularies or both. If we won't discuss the creation of vocabularies then maybe BP-19 should also be removed.
>
> Looking forward to your comments!
>
> Thanks!
> Bernadette
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-dwbp-20150625/#dataVocabularies
> [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dwbp-wg/2015May/0038.html
>
> 2015-05-21 11:15 GMT-03:00 Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org <mailto:sysbot+tracker@w3.org>>:
>
>     dwbp-ISSUE-166: Should the data vocabularies section be removed? [Best practices document(s)]
>
>     http://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/track/issues/166
>
>     Raised by: Bernadette Farias Loscio
>     On product: Best practices document(s)
>
>     https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dwbp-wg/2015May/0038.html
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Bernadette Farias Lóscio
> Centro de Informática
> Universidade Federal de Pernambuco - UFPE, Brazil
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received on Friday, 7 August 2015 13:00:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:39:40 UTC