RE: Two blog posts that may be of interest

To me, Steve's observation about Governments not accepting
responsibility is an important one. Even the UK Open Government Licence,
which I think qualifies as an Open Licence, contains this statement:

Non warranty

The Information is licensed 'as is' and the Information Provider
excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and liabilities in
relation to the Information to the maximum extent permitted by law.

The Information Provider is not liable for any errors or omissions in
the Information and shall not be liable for any loss, injury or damage
of any kind caused by its use. The Information Provider does not
guarantee the continued supply of the Information.

So: Provider excludes all representations, warranties, obligations and
liabilities, Provider is not liable for any errors or omissions,
Provider does not guarantee the continued supply .

I understand Steve's conclusion that without some form of guarantee of
quality and availability, businesses may think twice before building
their products on such data.

There is a bit of a tension between the push of a part of the open data
community to "publish early, even if data may be 'dirty'" and a business
community that needs quality guarantees.

Maybe something to include in BP guidelines? Something like: "If you
publish data quickly without guarantees, you're helping developers to
experiment with the data and investigate innovative usage of the data;
if on the other hand, you want to enable high-quality and sustainable
products and services, you need to provide guarantees of quality and
availability".

Makx.