Re: Data "on" the Web vs Data "in" the Web

Hi,

this is a very important point, Ig. My thoughts exactly when I suggested we
look at the Hypertext Application Language (HAL) proposal
[1]<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kelly-json-hal>in the first
meeting. It was in fact an invitation for us to think about
data "in" the web, as in "part of the web itself". We don't necessarily
have to follow HAL, but should look at is as a source of inspiration. The
way links are represented in resources in Subbu Allamaraju's RESTful
Webservices Cookbook [2]
<http://books.google.com.br/books?id=LDuzpQlVuG4C>is another source of
inspiration.

We should think of standard ways to insert links to other data into many
common open data formats, such as xml, json and maybe even csv. Of course
this linking requirement is satisfied by linked open data and rdf, but
sometimes organizations have some data and are willing to pubilsh, but
initially do not have the necessary resources (i.e. people, knowledge) to
develop vocabularies to describe the data. However, interlinking among
resources of a dataset, or even linking to resources in other datasets is
somewhat easier to do. There should be a way to at first publish open data
resources that are linked, but without rdf, such as in xml and json. Then,
at a later date, improve with a descriptive rdf vocabulary and expressed in
rdf to become linked open data (preferrably, if possible, keeping
compatibility with clients that implemented reading the previous
non-semantic version).

Perhaps this could become a use case for the Best Practices document.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kelly-json-hal
[2] http://books.google.com.br/books?id=LDuzpQlVuG4C

All the best,
Augusto Herrmann
Open Data Team - Ministry of Planning - Brazil