Re: dwbp-ACTION-123: Call for comments

Hi Laufer and Annette,

Thanks for your comments! I also made comments inline of Annette's comments:

Thanks for writing up a nice introduction to metadata. I really like that
> you addressed the issues of different granularity and different types. We
> may not even need to include the term as something readers need to be
> familiar with in advance. In general, I like the idea of defining terms
> where they are first used in the text. I tend to think we should consider
> both technical people and their managers when determining what level of
> technicality to write to, so that someone charged with publishing data on
> the web can easily point a senior decision-maker to specific best practices
> in order to get buy-in.

I agree with Annette! I think that we should try to consider both technical
people and their managers whenever possible.

> Because we are really targeting publishers of data, I think the first few
> sentences are unnecessary. You could start with the sentence, “Metadata is
> data about data.” That nicely clues the reader to the fact that this is an
> introduction that will explain what metadata is.

Again, I agree with Annete! In the Introduction, we discuss the role of the
data publisher.

> I don’t understand why there is a paragraph about distribution formats
> included here. Not only is it out of scope, it seems largely off topic.
>
> I think we should have here some explicit best practices that are about
> metadata more generally than specific fields, like “metadata should be
> available in human readable and machine-readable forms”. That is a best
> practice in itself, so I think it should get more than just a mention in
> the introduction.

That's the idea! I think BP in the metadata section will be like this.

> The organization of the numbered sections is confusing to me. The last
> sentence of the intro suggests that the data licenses and other sections
> below are subsections of metadata, but the numbers indicate otherwise, and
> it’s not at all clear where the metadata section is meant to end. There is
> also an allusion to an introduction for a “data organization” subsection
> that seems to be between the metadata level and the examples of metadata.

The confusion with the numbers is may fault. Initially, the idea was to
have Data Licences, Data Provenance and Data Quality as subsections of the
metadata section. However, I was not sure if this was the best structure
and then I created specific sections for these items.

I'd like to know your opinion abou this: Should we keep Data Licences, Data
Provenance and Data Quality as subsections of metadata or should we keep
them in separate sections?

Maybe, it is also early to make this decision...

> In a larger issue, probably not something we can address in the current
> draft, I’m not sure that the data lifecycle-based document structure is
> very helpful in terms of finding a specific best practice. I’m finding it
> difficult to guess where things are. In a way, everything should fit under
> the rubric of best practices for data publication.

The idea of considering the lifecycle is because there will be best
practices related to data usage, feedback and preservation. I think that
these tasks are not part of data publication. @Annette, Does it make sense
for you?

I'm gonna write the intro of Section 6 and its subsections, and maybe its
gonna be more clear.

kind regards,
Bernadette

--