Re: Event Updated: DPVCG Meeting Call 15 May 2024

I think the gas here is that the Consent socially and legally I think is different then consent technically.  In that yes Consent can be given socially and this can achieve consensus, technically, though it’s done via a permission .

An example, Parental Consent must be obtained.   - Technically, its parental permission for the child’s consent.   This is well reflected for example in the insurance industry, where a parent can provide ‘consent' for a child to go to the gym un-supervised, but the gym is still legally liable, and the parent cannot legally provide permission even if the child consents.

Alternatively, forcing a child to do something without the child's consent takes extra legal considerations.   Technically digital identity systems portray that they obtain and manage an individuals consent, for example Open Banking in reference to the PSD2 law.  But in reality, it’s a centralised repository of permissions to extend consent for the same purpose.   The gap procedurally (which is why Canada does Consent so well) is that culturally here, we ask for permission to introduce a new purpose - for consent.  The way consent is modelled in DPV (a technical vocabulary) is missing the point of consent being a human control in law, not a required for an institution to prove compliance,

Technically, this law is actually used to block people directing secondary consent, and this is actually causing harm and death of children.  For example CCTV while it might catch someone who is violent to another, it doesn’ t prevent the violence, nor can the surveillance  be used (with  secondary consent) in context for an individual to provide consent for that surveillance to be used to stop a violent act in progress.

Consent, unlike all the other legal justifications is truly human centric. Not institutional centric.   We have the next PII Controller Notice Record and Consent Receipt v2 Specification in draft and will share next month.

In addition, the TPS scheme  has been adopted in ISO digital twin work, and effectively is a measure for whether or not consent is valid.   What is called a Transparency Performance Indicator  is used to capture whether or not  a controller  identity is provided before  processing personal data or after.  If it’s after - it’s not a valid consent.

I look forward to presenting the latest work this summer,

- Mark