Re: Use of "has" or "is" in DPV's properties

Hi Harsh/Rob,

I'm delighted to be having this discussion, as I do think it's an important
topic.

So firstly, I'd agree that today there are actually *2 conventions* - one
using 'has' and 'is' prefixes, and the other not using them.

But I'd suggest that the reasons for *not* using prefixes are:
- Consistency - i.e., 'has' and 'is' simply can't be applied to all terms
(and still have the term name be easily understandable in English). An
example from DPV itself is the property `mitigatesRisk
<https://w3c.github.io/dpv/dpv/#mitigatesRisk>`. Therefore it seems to
often be a subjective call as to *when* to use them, and when not to use
them. Or if you want to be consistent and use them 'everywhere' you have
screw around with the English - e.g., `residesAt` might have to become
`hasResidenceAt` or `isResidentAt`. Whenever we have subjective judgement
calls like that, it generally leads to confusion (i.e., did the vocab
creators use 'has', or 'is', or nothing at all...?). So I think the only
way to have consistency is to state the guidance as 'not using term name
prefixes' (or use a *really* generic prefix, see next point).
- To prevent noise. This becomes evident in examples like the 11 base DPV
properties here <https://w3c.github.io/dpv/dpv/#baseontology-properties>,
or the 14 Entity DPV properties here
<https://w3c.github.io/dpv/dpv/#entities-properties> - i.e., all 25 terms
start with 'has', which means it acts as just a noise word (i.e., what
value is it bringing at all?). If we really need to clearly distinguish
between terms for Properties and terms for Classes (and I'd suggest that
that rather questionable, since 'the *other* Linked Data convention' seems
pretty fine by not using them at all), then I'd suggest using 'prop' might
be a better noise word. Then we'd only have one word instead of two, but I
think a 'prop' prefix on literally every single vocab property highlights
even more the 'noisey-ness' of using any prefix at all.
- This all reminds me of the flamewars years ago around Hungarian notation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation> in C and C++. I'm not
sure if that's particularly relevant here or not to be honest, but it
certainly 'feels' very similar (and I think the end result of all that
debate back then was to be extremely careful and limited in one's use of
prefixes (i.e., see the Notable opinions at the end of that Wikipedia
article)).
- It also saves a few bytes per term!

I'd also note that in Schema.org (i.e., the most prominent vocab out there
today perhaps!), out of nearly 1,500 properties there are only 31 'isXXXX'
and 28 'hasXXXX', and those I suspect came in from other vocabs that were
subsumed by Schema.org - i.e., it certainly doesn't seem to be an 'accepted
guideline' by Schema.org as a whole.

I'm more than happy to continue this discussion though, as I'm certainly
not convinced that I'm in either camp myself really (although I am leaning
more towards 'not using' prefixes).

Cheers,

Pat.

*Pat McBennett*, Technical Architect

Contact  | patm@inrupt.com

Connect | WebID <http://pmcb55.inrupt.net/profile/card#me>, GitHub
<https://github.com/pmcb55>

Explore  | www.inrupt.com

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 9:53 AM Rob Brennan <rob.brennan@adaptcentre.ie>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I seem to recall at the meeting the issue was raised that some languages
> do not have the upper/lower case characters we use in English/Western
> languages and thus it is better to have the extra word to distinguish
> property/class.
>
> rgds
> rob
>
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 11:45 PM Harshvardhan J. Pandit <me@harshp.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> Turns out if you don't care about IE8 or earlier, HTML ids are
>> case-sensitive. So I'll amend my answer as: just sem-web convention.
>> AFAIK no one raised this as an question/issue before, so we continued
>> using the same prefix-based notation in all properties.
>>
>> I went over the old minutes, and I couldn't find anything explicit about
>> this. But I remember distinctly it being discussed and the room agreeing
>> to use of prefixes as per sem-web convetion - probably during the 2018
>> workshop.
>>
>> If there's a call to change these (e.g. turn hasDataSubject into
>> dataSubject) - this represents a major change because it will completely
>> break any backward compatibility. However, we're not v1/stable, so this
>> may not be that bad, but IMHO we should have a stronger reason than
>> shaving a few bytes off.
>>
>> To give an idea of what others do: there's evidence for using both
>> styles. With prefixes: PROV-O, TIME, ODRL ;; Without prefixes: DCAT,
>> TIME (does both styles), SHACL.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harsh
>>
>> On 23/03/2022 19:46, Harshvardhan J. Pandit wrote:
>> > Hi. I don't believe there is a formal record of this in the mailing
>> list
>> > or meeting notes (would like to be wrong on this), but the format was
>> > because (a) sem-web convention; and (b) in case-agnostic environments,
>> > DataSubject and datasubject cannot be distinguished and cause issues.
>> > E.g. HTML ids are case insensitive and ReSpec (the documentation tool)
>> > will annoyingly complain on duplicates between DataSubject and
>> datasubject.

>> --
>> ---
>> Harshvardhan J. Pandit, Ph.D
>> Research Fellow
>> ADAPT Centre, Trinity College Dublin
>> https://harshp.com/
>>

>> --
>> *
>>
>> *Séanadh Ríomhphoist/Email Disclaimer*
>>
>> *Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon
>> chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin
>> amháin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo.
>> <https://sites.google.com/view/seanadh-riomhphoist>*
>>
>> *This e-mail and any
>> files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for
>> use
>> by the addressee. Read more here.
>> <https://sites.google.com/view/dcu-email-disclaimer>*
>>

>> *

> [...]

addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged, confidential
and/or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail (or the person responsible for delivering this document to the
intended recipient), please do not disseminate, distribute, print or copy
this e-mail, or any attachment thereto. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please respond to the individual sending the message, and
permanently delete the email.