Re: DPCat: Data Processing Catalogue using DPV and DCAT(-AP)

Hi Rob,

under this model a ROPA  that supports accountability requires a dataset of additional evidence
per processing record. This is loosely coupled, allowing for many representation schemes
including non-RDF ones. The high level metadata describing the data processing, required for
compliance, is kept at the ROPARecord level.

A ROPA is modelled as a catalog of data processing activity records ( ROPARecords) describing
these accountability datasets. This makes no statement about more general DCAT datasets which
could contain any data describing anything. Hence you should not convert an arbitrary DCAT
dataset into a ROPARecord by asserting it is one, as in your example.

This is what I suspected. Now I come to the alignment statement with DCAT-AP. If you state you want to align with DCAT-AP, and the scope of DCAT-AP is describing the datasets as I illustrated, then one cannot state that DPCat ROPARecord is a DCAT-AP dataset.
Then it is an independent DCAT profile which may take inspiration from DCAT-AP, but which content and scope is different.
Even more the tools and agreements suited for DCAT-AP (open data portals) are very lickely not fitting the ROPA implementations.

That is what I meant with the definition of a ROPARecord should match the definition of a DCAT-AP dataset.
You confirm now that these are two distinct things and should not be mixed.

But there can be a connection, e.g.

<http://data.europa.eu/88u/dataset/planning-applications5> ropa:hasRopaRecord <https://gdpr.uk.gov/id/roparecord/312321>.

<https://gdpr.uk.gov/id/roparecord/312321>

        dct:issued         "2021-04-06" ;
        dct:publisher      [ a          foaf:Agent ;
                             dct:type   <http://purl.org/adms/publishertype/NationalAuthority> ;
                             foaf:name  "DPA Great Britain"
                           ] ;

        a                  dcat:Dataset ;

        a <https://w3id.org/dpcat#ROPARecord> .

where ropa:hasRopaRecord expresses the ROPA record registered for this dataset in the ROPA of Great Britain.

kr,

Bert

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 at 16:33, Bert Van Nuffelen <Bert.Van.Nuffelen@tenforce.com<mailto:Bert.Van.Nuffelen@tenforce.com>> wrote:
Hi,

> The ROPA in DPCat is a 'view' or 'metadata' that provides interoperable
> abstraction over all these implementation details. This permits the
> organisation to keep its information in whatever structure and format
> and location it wishes to, while the ROPA-related fields provide data
> governance capabilities for tools and services that operate on ROPA
> through those metadata fields.

Maybe I am not understanding the profile.

I take this example dataset, according to DCAT-AP:

<http://data.europa.eu/88u/dataset/planning-applications5>

        dct:issued         "2018-12-04" ;
        dct:modified       "2022-04-19" ;
        dct:publisher      [ a          foaf:Agent ;
                             dct:type   <http://purl.org/adms/publishertype/NationalAuthority> ;
                             foaf:name  "London Borough of Camden"
                           ] ;

        a                  dcat:Dataset .

Is the following correct according to the intentions to make it a  ROPA Record? (Or does it must be a ROPA?)

<http://data.europa.eu/88u/dataset/planning-applications5>

        dct:issued         "2018-12-04" ;
        dct:modified       "2022-04-19" ;
        dct:publisher      [ a          foaf:Agent ;
                             dct:type   <http://purl.org/adms/publishertype/NationalAuthority> ;
                             foaf:name  "London Borough of Camden"
                           ] ;

        a                  dcat:Dataset ;

        a <https://w3id.org/dpcat#ROPARecord> .

Is this the intentional approach?
Or does a ROPARecord expresses something about the dataset <http://data.europa.eu/88u/dataset/planning-applications5> ?

> If there were no such (GDPR related) fields, then the ROPA as a catalog
> would just be a small wrapper around a document detailing who published
> it and when. That isn't much useful to anyone. The actual value of
> putting these fields is that it enables a lot of smart queries and data
> management tasks to be carried out by DPOs, managers, auditors,
> investigators, etc.

That is not the point I am struggling with, I am struggling with how I can relate the ROPA(Record) to an actual dataset in data.europa.eu<http://data.europa.eu>.
Because that influences the profile construction.
E.g. For me a ROPARecord (confusing it is a Dataset while there is in DCAT CatalogueRecord ;)) ) could be independent form a DCAT-AP dataset.
The likelyhood is high it is different.

kr,

Bert

Séanadh Ríomhphoist/Email Disclaimer

Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin amháin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo. <https://sites.google.com/view/seanadh-riomhphoist>

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use by the addressee. Read more here.<https://sites.google.com/view/dcu-email-disclaimer>

[https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/iss/images/dcuapps/socmedicons-06.png]<https://www.facebook.com/DCU/>[https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/iss/images/dcuapps/socmedicons-07.png]<https://twitter.com/DCU>[https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/iss/images/dcuapps/socmedicons-08.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/dublin-city-university>[https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/iss/images/dcuapps/socmedicons-09.png]<https://www.instagram.com/dublincityuniversity/?hl=en>[https://www.dcu.ie/sites/default/files/iss/images/dcuapps/socmedicons-10.png]<https://www.youtube.com/user/DublinCityUniversity>