Re: Expressing duration in the data privacy vocabulary

Hi Alex.

To answer your query: there are no constraints on what you want to use.
So OWL-Time or XSD could be used.

Personally, I'm not in favour of enum strings as they do not represent
actionable information. E.g. "a week" --> how to query temporal
information from this? Instead, I would use OWL-Time to specify temporal
periods.

FYI: The DPV has an upcoming update for v0.2, 'test' version here:
https://harshp.com/dpv-documentation/#hasDuration

The 'duration' is a generic property to specify duration of any
technical or organisational measure. For example, one could specify
'Storage Duration' instance and also use OWL-Time, or put an XSD
datetime property on it.

We're trying to work on a primer and examples, so hopefully these things
should be clear (or at least show what needs to be fixed).

Regards,
Harsh

On 05/01/2021 10:15, Railean, Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Alex and I research usable privacy and security for IoT. I
> have a question about the actual use of the `duration` attribute of the
> vocabulary. The specification only says that it exists, in 7.1.26
> Storage Duration.
>
> However, what I am wondering about is whether it acts like an "enum"
> with predefined values such as {none, forever, a week, a month, a year},
> or if we are expected to treat it as a "datetime", or some other type
> related to time-keeping?
>
> Any hints you could provide on this front would be greatly appreciated,
> Alex

Harshvardhan J. Pandit, Ph.D
Research Fellow
ADAPT Centre, Trinity College Dublin