Re: Personal data categories in the online context

Hello.
Thanks for suggesting the personal data categories.

Could you please indicate the closes matching concept within the DPV
taxonomy (where it exists) so we can work on discussing them?

IMO a lot of these categories are subjective and arbitrary (remember
there can be an infinite number of personal data categories). So it is
important for DPV to provide a broad taxonomy capable of specifying most
of these in abstract terms. Adopters would then utilise specifics.

For e.g. request-target, actions, site speed is IMHO quite obtuse in
terms of being personal data.

Additionally, some categories already exist in DPV e.g. IP address
already exists.

Thanks,
Harsh

On 23/06/2020 10:21, Georg Philip Krog wrote:
> Dear DPV folks,
>
> Signatu contributes to the DPV with some personal data categories (in
> the table below) that the 3rd parties in Signatu 3rd party registry
> collect and process when they load remote resources on websites to track
> end users.
>
> Some of these categories overlap with those in the existing DPV.
>
> Data Short description Detailed description Source
> HTTP request to the server User’s request (HTTP) message HTTP messages
> are how data is exchanged between a server and a client. There are two
> types of messages: requests sent by the client to trigger an action on
> the server, and responses, the answer from the server. HTTP messages are
> composed of textual information encoded, and span over multiple lines.
> HTTP messages are automatically written by software, a Web browser,
> proxy, or Web server.
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Messages
>  user-agent a software that is acting on behalf of a user, such as a web
> browser that retrieves, renders and facilitates end user interaction
> with web content. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent
>  user-agent string a string that lets servers and network peers identify
> the application, operating system, vendor, and/or version of the
> requesting user agent. In HTTP protocols, this identification is
> transmitted in a header field User-Agent. In HTTP, the User-Agent string
> is often used for content negotiation, where the origin server selects
> suitable content or operating parameters for the response. For example,
> the User-Agent string might be used by a web server to choose variants
> based on the known capabilities of a particular version of client
> software. The concept of content tailoring is built for the sake of
> tailoring responses to avoid particular user agent limitations.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent#User_agent_identification)
> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/User-Agent)
>  request-target a request message is sent with a request-target (derived
> from the target URI) that requests a resource from the server.
>  the date and time at which the request originated
>  IP address a numerical label assigned to each device connected to a
> computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication. An
> IP address serves two main functions: host or network interface
> identification and location addressing .An IP address serves two
> principal functions. It identifies the host, or more specifically its
> network interface, and it provides the location of the host in the
> network, and thus the capability of establishing a path to that host.
> Its role has been characterized as follows: "A name indicates what we
> seek. An address indicates where it is. A route indicates how to get
> there The header of each IP packet contains the IP address of the
> sending host, and that of the destination host.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address
> [...]

Harshvardhan Pandit, Ph.D
Researcher at ADAPT Centre, Trinity College Dublin
https://harshp.com/research/