Re: ISSUE-7: Are the legal grounds except consent and legitimate interest actualy purposes?

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:53:44 AM CET Piero Bonatti wrote:
> Thank you very much for the clarification Harsh, and apologies to
> everyone for the noise.
>
> We have a similar situation in one of our use case and for that reason
> we tentatively introduced a purpose ComplianceWithFinancialRegulations.
>
> I am aware, however, that this kind of purposes is difficult to
> standardize: each application domain in principle may have its own set
> of applicable/relevant laws and we have no tentative list of reference
> communities to involve.
>
> Maybe someone in the CG has clearer ideas about what a core set of
> "legal areas" of common interest could be? One could start from there to
> develop dedicated sub-vocabularies.
>
> On the other side of the spectrum, if we are satisfied with a high-level
> upper ontology, then a generic purpose expressing compliance with law
> requirements could be enough, maybe equipped with an attribute that
> contains a reference to the law being considered.
>
> Now that I think about it, maybe there is some standard for encoding
> such references? (i.e. a sort of URI for laws and regulations).  The
> members of the CG with legal background may have an answer.

I remember from the workshop in Vienna earlier this year that referring to
laws by URI was mentioned as a problem. There is apparently no unique way.

On the other hand, lawyers obviously do reference laws in their texts, via
some combination of the law's (abbreviated) name, a year, an article number
and a clause, whichever are relevant:  "Art. 461 Wetb. v. Strafr.", "Code du
travail, art. L.2312-5". So, until there is a standard, a free-form text
string may be the only option.

Bert