Using ODRL for modeling consent obligations (was Re: Are there any concerns about using ODRL to model Consent?)

Hi!

(Chiming in on the ODRL part of the conversation)

> However, to date, I am not aware of any work attempting to model
> consent using ODRL (that has published their approach).

ODRL allows you to define so-called Privacy policies [1]: "A Policy that
expresses a Rule over an Asset containing personal information." which
would contain permissions & prohibitions tied to your PI.
For example, such a policy could in ODRL be expressed like this:

<http://example.com/policy:42>
   a odrl:Privacy ;
   odrl:permission [
     a odrl:Permission ;
     odrl:target ex:asset_9898 ;
     odrl:action odrl:reproduce ;
     odrl:assigner ex:Alice ;
     odrl:assignee ex:Bob ;
     odrl:duty [
       a odrl:Duty ;
       odrl:action odrl:obtainConsent ;
       odrl:output ex:Consent ;
       odrl:consentingParty ex:Alice ;
       odrl:consentedParty ex:Bob ;
     ]
   ] .

Resembling a permission Alice has granted to Bob for reproducing her PI
(denoted as asset_9898) under the condition that Bob obtains Alice's
consent.

https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-consentingParty - party to obtain
consent from
https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-consentedParty - party who
obtains the consent
https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-obtainConsent -  To obtain
verifiable consent to perform the requested action in relation to the
Asset.
https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-output - specifies the Asset
which is created from the output of the Action.

However, ODRL does NOT define:

1) HOW & WHEN consent has to be obtained, i.e., HOW & WHEN fulfillment
of the duty has to be verified/checked
2) HOW consent has to "look like", i.e., what information ex:Consent has
to contain

HTH, simon

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#term-Privacy

---
DDipl.-Ing. Simon Steyskal
Institute for Information Business, WU Vienna

www: http://www.steyskal.info/  twitter: @simonsteys