Re: legals and disclaimenrs [was review all terms by cluster? refine the clusters? copyright? [was] Re: Proposal for a domain

--- Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au> wrote:
> W3C has very good "royalty-free" policy when it
> comes to standards.
>
> I will propose that the Incubator Group follows
> Option 2 from here:

<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/procedures.html#Patent>

Agreed.

However, patents are only one type of sharing problem.

There's also copyrights, which is why I suggest that
contributions be held by contributors with the
understanding that they are to be released under a
share-alike license at some future point when it's
clear what participants in the consortium are giving
and not giving.

And there's trademark, which affects the ability of a
standard to ensure interoperability.  As in the Java
consortium where failure to meet the test suite's
requirements eventually forced Microsoft to withdraw
(this would have been impossible if the term "Java"
had not been trademarked and tied to the test suite).

Finally there's domain names, I would hate to see
"w3disasterontology.com" and so on be owned by anyone
no obligated to work in some reasonable fashion with
the standard and the committee.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222