Re: Proposal for a domain

Hi All,

If I wasn't in head-down mode working on a proposal for an infectious
disease mapping, tracking and forecasting application as a web
service operating within an ontologically-enabled Semantic
Interoperability Service Oriented Architecture Registry Repository
(SISOA-RR), I would be joining this discussion in a more focused and
intense manner. That may be possible sometime later this week.

I think that for practical purposes "Emergency Management" more or
less as Don has defined it, does indeed cover the basic needs for the
top level name of the domain. It is also what I happen to use when
referring to it as one of the two domains in this particular
SISOA-RR: Health Informatics and Emergency Management. So I have a
stake in the sand in this discussion.

However, I usually describe the domain as encompassing the
preparation(s) for, response(s) to, mitigation of and recovery from
emergency incidents. I state it that way to include the lifecycle of
both the emergency and the overall response effort(s) which need to
include preparation(s).

I'm not sure if the distinction between an emergency incident and a
larger disaster, except in terms of time-period and scale, is
particularly helpful. However, I am willing to accept these
distinctions for the purposes of aligning political jurisdictions in
order to support better coordination of services during emergencies
and disasters. I agree that this area needs improvement.

Cheers,
Rex

Rex Brooks
President, CEO