RE: Prioritisation

No, you're misreading what I said. There is no attempt to make the pages _break_ in the same place, or for the digital layout to even resemble the print layout. It's not about layout. You simply put in a marker, in your XML or HTML, that says "here's where page n starts in the paginated version of record" (typically the print). This is why Tzviya emphasized the ambiguity of using the word "pagination," and I +1'd it, saying I like to distinguish by "pagination" (which does involve layout) from "page break markers" (which are typically just empty elements with metadata conveying information about the paginated layout).

From: Kaveh Bazargan [mailto:kaveh@rivervalleytechnologies.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:03 PM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: Dave Cramer; public-digipub@w3.org
Subject: Re: Prioritisation

On 4 August 2015 at 18:50, Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com<mailto:bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>> wrote:
A quick clarification. I am quite sure that in her e-mail Deborah is using the term "pagination" to mean "maintaining a record in the digital file of where the page breaks occur in the paginated version of record." That's essential to accessibility and other useful things as well (citations, cross references, indexes, etc. in a world in which print is still considered the version of record and references to its page breaks are common.) That's not the same as making the _rendered pages_ in the digital file replicate those in the print.—Bill K

[...]

But Bill, how do we make the page breaks in the electronic version to be the same as those of the print pages unless we have the same elements and layout? For instance if a floating figure is missing from an electronic page, do we just make a short page and break where the paper copy breaks? That would lead to very ugly results.

--
Kaveh Bazargan
Director