RE: Prioritisation

Well, again, I would caution against confusing "fixed layout" with "paginated." I have a hard time accepting that sighted users _need_ the same layout as the print. Publishers like that--cookbooks, kids books, etc.--but that is not about accessibility, that's about design. (It usually impairs accessibility.) It's the information about the page breaks, not the replica layout, that is important, imo. That doesn't mean the sighted user doesn't want a nicely rendered page; that's why we're working on these pagination issues. But those nicely rendered pages don't need to (and usually shouldn't) replicate the print layout.--Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Deborah Kaplan [mailto:dkaplan@safaribooksonline.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:10 PM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: Kaveh Bazargan; Dave Cramer; public-digipub@w3.org
Subject: RE: Prioritisation

It's good to have the clarification, Bill, because I was using it in both ways simultaneously. Careless of me!

You need to maintain a record in the digital file of where the page breaks occur in the paginated version of record. But under certain circumstances, you need to replicate that in the rendered pages. Sighted users also sometimes need to use an online version for accessibility reasons (or by choice, but my concern is always going to be with accessibility). Those users also need to be able to have a visually rendered page as if it were print.

There are any other number of reasons, both accessibility and design, why rendering a paged model would be desirable. E-book versions of picture books, for example, need visually rendered pages.

There are good reasons to have visual pagination because of user preference, as has been discussed further up this thread, but there are also solid use cases where it is required, which is why I was bringing up accessibility and scholarship.

Kaveh, adding pagination to the CSS requirements does not preclude in any way doing the richer kind of pagination you are describing for specific functionality. However, it is vitally important that, for the use cases were pagination is necessary, it is available.

Deborah Kaplan
     prio