Re: [latinreq] Grids?

I am interested in the new grid specs for CSS and would love to see them work there way into digital publishing as well. 960 grid framework is incredibly old at this point and Nathan Smith, the creator, hasn’t used it in years. Frankly all current CSS grid systems are hacks until we get a decent spec for them.

Baseline grids are incredibly important for paginated material, even more so that standard websites. Unfortunately CSS uses split-leading at the top and bottom of each line of text and this makes it incredibly difficult to measure and create a consistent baseline grid. These are important because as the reader goes from page to page the lines of text might not fall on the same lines and this mis-alignment of text can cause slight confusion and just looks a bit sloppy.

Scott Kellum
scott@scottkellum.com
(347) 422-7572

scottkellum.com