Re: [latinreq] Grids?

On Wed, 2014-01-08 at 17:11 -0500, Scott Kellum wrote:
> I am interested in the new grid specs for CSS and would love to see
> them work there way into digital publishing as well.
[...]

> Baseline grids are incredibly important for paginated material,

They are, but the CSS grid proposal is closer to the Bauhaus-style
modular grid used e.g. in magazines and newspapers. A "snap baselines to
multiples of _this_ spacing" option was added to XSL-FO 2 draft as I
recall, or discussed, and would certainly be useful in CSS for print.
"Show-through" isn't an issue for on-screen viewing, and the smart
out-of-your-face effect of cross-column alignment is way more
sophisticated typography than is out there right now, unfortunately.

Liam