Re: [latinreq] Paper sizes?

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 23:24 +0530, Jean Kaplansky wrote:
> Google books says no ebook exists for Bringhurst.

Yes, get the printed book.

Reading an ebook on print typography is like learning to ride a bicycle
by eating circular foods :-)

> Most of the typography “canon” has not yet made it to eBookLandia.
>
> This is a modern day typography book that _is_ available as an eBook
> (albeit page replica):
> http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Manual-Typography-Setting-Perfect-ebook/dp/B006X73AJW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1389117053&sr=1-1&keywords=Jim+Felici

Yes, that's a good book. Also Mitchell & Wightman's Book Typography.

> And I found what the typophile.com refers to as the typography
> “triumvirate” here: http://typophile.com/node/15349 (Bringhurst is the
> first title on the list)

The second two of these are rather lower-level and I think perhaps a
little dated, but yes if you want to be a typeface guru go for them :-)
also the O'Reilly book on Fonts & Encodings (the Linux/X11 section is
hopeless but the rest is very useful).

On page ratios, The Form of the Book (Tschichold) is the source that
Robert Bringhurst used.

"Ready to Print" (Kristina Nickel) is very practical although it may be
a little too tied to specific tools such as InDesign and PhotoShop (and
has some errors in unit conversion). But it has an intro by Eric
Spiekermann and his son Dylan.

On paper sizes, it might be more useful to say whether (say) HTML and/or
CSS should be able to link to JDF in some standard way to specify
imposition, trimming, binding, finishing.

Best,

Liam

The barefoot typographer