RE: Best citation format for accessibility

From: Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:28:48 +0000
To: Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>
CC: Bill McCoy <bmccoy@idpf.org>, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "W3C Digital Publishing IG" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
You make a valid point; the "just read it and figure it out" approach is certainly one strategy, though I still think being able to distinguish the semantic components of a citation would be useful (there are typographic cues for a sighted user-quotation marks, italics, bold journal abbreviation, etc.). So I presume you're suggesting, that, for accessibility purposes, it would be sufficient for a screen reader to simply know that something is a citation and then be able to "read" it to the user? In that case I still think they need to know how to obtain the cited resource, so at least the link has to be accessible in itself.