Re: use case: page based scholarly reference?

On 10/06/2015 14:02 , Ivan Herman wrote:
> I am not sure what this translates into in a requirement for the
> identification part, namely that 'reasonable' units within the
> publication should have an easily identifiable URL, or URL structure
> (note that the examples above actually define ranges and not only one
> page). This may be a page but that is a fluid notion in this case,
> that may not be appropriate for scholarly purposes. But I am a bit
> uncertain how to formulate it before putting it into the use case
> directory…

One question I have reading this is about usability. Imagining some form
of resilient linking is used (the example below is from Emphasis 2 [0]
but others tend to be the same), if I wanted to anchor a link to a
paragraph I'd end up with something that looked like:

   D. Ahut, et al., “Sustainable Critical Avalanches of Alpine Fauna,”
Cryptozoology, vol. 42, #p[MMTMMT],h[BcdTcg,1], Mar. 1977

The "#p[MMTMMT],h[BcdTcg,1]" bit can replace pages (you can also do
ranges with it) and so long as you're in a digital context in which it
is presumably clickable it's fine; but when it shows up in print as it
invariably will, well, I'd hate to have to type that back in.

Is this something that should be a consideration, or should references
from print to digital be largely considered hopeless anyway (since in
practice you just search for the paper's title)?

[0] http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/emphasis-update-and-source/