Re: Call for comments from IG: STEM survey first draft

From: Thierry MICHEL <tmichel@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:59:08 +0100
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>, Bill Kasdorf <bkasdorf@apexcovantage.com>, Tzviya Siegman <tsiegman@wiley.com>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>

On 20/01/2015 15:04, Ivan Herman wrote:

>>> We (the TF) had decided to do a test run with a small number of test
>>> subjects; this found approval on a regular IG call later.
>>>
>>> The goal will be to reduce our inevitable blind spots before releasing
>>> it to the wider group of people. The data from these test subjects would
>>> not enter the survey (though they would be able to take part in the
>>> final survey as well).
>>
>> Yes I  am aware of that resolution, I couldn't (and don't) understand why they are called pigs.
>>

> Thierry,
>
> "guinea pig" is an English expression. It is a name of an animal:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig
>
> in contrast google translate, it is 'cochon d'inde' in Frence. And it is also used as an expression for "cobaye".

sorry but I was not aware of this english meaning and in France you
would not want to be called a pig nor a guinea pig ;-)

in French Guinea pig is 'cochon d'inde', which actually means pigs of
America, because when Christopher Columbus discovered America he thought
it was India.
So some animals like turkey (dinde, cochon d'inde, dindon) and indians
carry that indian spell.

Thierry