RE: Promised pagination ping

Just picking up to add a concrete example to what Tzviya said, another use case for textual equivalents that has nothing to do with blind users is this. Scientists working in a lab often like to have content—e.g., steps in a complex procedure—"read" to them so that they can focus on the instrumentation or equipment or specimens they are working on "at the bench," rather than having to look back and forth to a visually rendered version. Analogous to that would be a cookbook procedure.

--Bill K

From: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken [mailto:tsiegman@wiley.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2015 12:58 PM
To: Brady Duga; W3C Digital Publishing IG
Subject: RE: Promised pagination ping

I have reviewed our existing personalization use case. We have one large use case that points to many existing specs and working groups [1], all within the context of accessibility. A basic example is that a user needs to have the ability to adjust font size. I think that we would like to present personalization as a set of requirements that are necessary for all users not simply a requirement for accessibility compliance.

Rich (or others), the Personalization Roadmap [2] is from 2009. What is the progress? I think we should be able to pick up these use cases and adapt them for Houdini as well as EPUB-WEB.

For example, use case 1 “Blind user prefers text equivalent” [3] could be rewritten as something similar to what we have been calling multiple renditions in the IDPF.

Publication includes complex visualizations, such as directions drawn on a map, which are very difficult to read on small screens. Users may prefers different presentation of content depending on situation (device capability, access to network, abilities of user, etc.). Rather than try to render large graphics on small screens, it would be possible for user  choose a text rendition, depending on circumstance. This would also make the visualizations accessible to blind users.

Thanks,
Tzviya

[1] https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Accessibility_and_Personalization

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/UWA-personalization-roadmap/

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/UWA-personalization-roadmap/#usecase_blind

Tzviya Siegman * Digital Book Standards & Capabilities Lead * John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
111 River Street, MS 5-02 * Hoboken, NJ 07030-5774 * 201-748-6884 * tsiegman@wiley.com<mailto:tsiegman@wiley.com>