Re: Fonts (was Re: follow up on service workers for publishing platform)

> On 2 Dec 2015, at 19:04, Nick Ruffilo <nickruffilo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> EPUB has tackled this SOMEWHAT with font obfuscation.  Additionally, many fonts are selling distributable licenses that make it legal.
>
> What I think PWP should address is:
> 1) An easy way to include any rights language (some things provided by GPL or purchased licenses require you distribute the license with the file)

That is indeed within the scope of W3C, but not what the right language would express in terms of legalese. And this is not a font related issue, obviously: expressing the rights assigned to images, for example, falls under the same requirement.

And things are moving in this respect. W3C is currently thinking about a separate WG, also the charter is only a draft:

https://w3c.github.io/ole/charter.html <https://w3c.github.io/ole/charter.html>

if this language gets specified (ie, if the membership approves such a group) then the result, for our point of view, is a targeted vocabulary which can be expressed as metadata. Ie, expressing the rights, in this respect, as akin to metadata management; this is something PWP has to address although most of the issues are general Web and not only PWP related.

Digital Publishing Lead