Re: Whose problem is a strange French typesetting habit...

On 10/28/13 11:59 PM, "Liam R E Quin" <liam@w3.org> wrote:

>I think having to put
>  This is Tediou<span class="fs">s!</span>
>everywhere even with CSS, would be unacceptable...

The proposed feature isn't like that. Put:
  body { text-autospacing: punctuation; }
and you're done.

>The Prince solution is one approach, with substitutions; transformations
>(actually XSLT) is also how XSL-FO handles it; another way might be
>CSS-based font adjustments, e.g. kerning-pairs and
>glyph-cluster-extra-space.

The property was originally designed to suffice requirements for East
Asian typography, and fantasai and I thought it's also useful for French.

General text replacement in CSS was also an idea for Text Level 4. I'd be
happy to hear which IG prefers for French and UK use cases.
Text-autospacing will define spacing between two characters, so it's more
flexible while more complex. Text-replace is simpler, but you may not be
able to handle, say, double-exclamation marks properly.

The East Asian typography feature text-autospace provides was supported in
many East Asian word processors and DTP software in '90s, so I'd like CSS
to support it anyway.

/koji