Re: Whose problem is a strange French typesetting habit...

On Sat, 2013-10-26 at 23:30 -0400, Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken wrote:
> There is a similar issue in accounting and finance books. American
> books say $100,000. In the books from the UK that I've seen, there is
> a thin space after $. Thin spaces are also often used in place is the
> commas in large numbers outside the US.

And in Europe . is used instead of comma, and , for a decimal, so,
US: $120,000.56
UK: £120 000·56 (sometimes with a raised dot as here, sometimes .)
FR: ¤120.000,56

However, this is handled in programming systems with a "locale"
mechanism, and in XSLT (and XSL-FO 2) with format-number.

When CSS can show a running total for the page at the bottom of each
page of a multi-page table it too will need this capability.

Liam