Re: [pagination] Draft pagination document now in GitHub and online

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 10:22 +0100, Ivan Herman wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2013, at 22:26 , "Cramer, Dave" <Dave.Cramer@hbgusa.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/27/13 4:35 PM, "Liam R E Quin" <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> > Do we still want to cover Japanese-language issues in depth, given
> the
> > existence of JLREQ?
>
> I think we should separate two issues. First, whether we want to make
> a detailed description of the Japanese pagination issues: of course
> not. JLREQ is referred to from within the document, and we are fine.
+1

>  But I believe it would be good if somebody from this IG looked at the
> various CSS features to see whether the JLREQ requirements are indeed
> covered;
The JLREQ requirements are not all reflected in CSS at this time. The
CSS person most up to speed on the interaction is I think Fantasai.

> One possibility is that we plan this work by concentrating on ltr
> languages first and we plan to issue a second release of the document
> with more I18N features later. (I am not sure that is optimal, but we
> may consider this.)
I think it's fine and sensible.

Other documents can describe only the differences.

> [...] how different are the pagination habits from one country, one
> culture to the other even if we stay, say, in European languages?

Note, a magazine in English might be paginated very differently in Japan
and in (say) Scotland, just as there are differences between French in
France and in Canada. A table of contents goes at the back in some
countries, at or near the front in others; laws and conventions about
imprint pages and other prelims vary; I should let Dave answer in more
detail though :-)