Re: [pagination] Draft pagination document now in GitHub and online

Hey Dave,

just after the first reading, coming from somebody who is not an expert area... And I appreciate that this is really a first draft, ie, my comments below may already be part of the plans of the TF.

- In general, we should be very systematic in each sections on how the general issues and problems map or do not map to the current HTML+CSS world. I guess we should have some sort characterization for each issue specifying:

   - It can be handled by the current HTML5+CSS specifications (although implementations may be deficient)
   - It is not in HTML5+CSS, but is properly addressed in an upcoming module X of CSS 3 or in HTML5.1
   - It is not in HTML5+CSS, it is considered in Spec X or HTML5 or CSS, but the current approach is deficient for these and these reasons
   - It isn't addressed in the current or planned Open Web Platform specs, and this and this should be available in some way or other

Also, the problems should be made more explicit than they are now. For example, I do not understand the issue in 'Issue 1' Section 4.1.

(Editorially, these are not 'issues' as you used in the current text; issues in the W3C jargon are more related to the technical issues in the document itself; we are talking about problems in another document here...)

- An outsider's question: are all these notions, requirements, etc, identical for all writing systems? Or are there different notions, requirements for Chinese, Japanese, Indian, etc, texts? If so, how can we made sure that all different writing systems are properly covered?

- I certainly would need more examples in the text, mainly because I am not an expert. But as the audience of this document are people who develop core Web technologies, I think most of them will have the same shortcomings as I do:-) (But I presume this is your intention anyway)

- I also realized that we have a terminology discrepancy between the publishing terminology and HTML. The HTML spec has the 'header' element[1] for what I think you call the 'heads'[2]:-( I realize that we cannot really do anything here, but it is worth calling out to that discrepancy explicitly...

- I believe you have made small mistake for fig 2 and fig 3: aren't they in wrong order? They seem to contradict with the caption and the text...

For now...

Thanks

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/sections.html#the-header-element