Re: distributed methods description - Was: Updating the DID method registry

Thanks for the response, Joe, but I don't agree.
I don't think that that is abandoning our fundamental goals.

Take for example RFC 6920 Naming Things with Hashes (
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6920.html).
The URI ni:///sha-256;UyaQV-Ev4rdLoHyJJWCi11OHfrYv9E1aGQAlMO2X_-Q This URI
relies on the fact that `*ni://*` is defined as a rfc6920 uri It relies on
the fact that `*sha-256*` is reserved for
```
  [SHA-256] NIST, "Secure Hash Standard", FIPS 180-3, October 2008,

 <http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips180-3/
<http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips180-3/fips180-3_final.pdf>fips180-3_final.pdf
<http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/fips/fips180-3/fips180-3_final.pdf>>.

```
This does not imply that `*ni://*` URIs are centralized.

If what we wanted was to have strings that where only meaningful in
the context of the applicationthen simple strings would be sufficient.
The reason we want to have a DID specification at all is to agree on
what a `*did:**` means.
just as it was fine to have the hashing method `*sha-256*` reserved
for the sha-256 algorithm it is reasonable to reserve method strings

for `did:` is for example `did:key:*` has a defined meaning that does
not necessarily mean that DIDs are centralized.

Anyone with access to the specification can still make a `did:key:*`
without needing permission.

Each *method* needs to make the tradeoffs for method specific
identifiers that are consistent, chosen, or decentralized.

[image: image.png]
e.g.
did:key is a fingerprint and is decentralized and exclusive but you can't
pick the string.
did:web is an address and is chosen and exclusive but you need to rely on
the CA and DNS systems.

But the methods can only make those tradeoffs if the method string itself
can be defined to be a specified method.