Re: [Minutes] DID WG 2020-11-17

Hi Ted,

I have seen Brent's response to this mail, and his promise to come back with some more detailed answers later today. I do hope this will help. Let us acknowledge, however, that the slides he'd produced were 'just' a heroic attempt from a non-lawyer to give an overview of the changes, aimed at accompanying a discussion at a virtual F2F meeting. That discussion has, b.t.w., been minuted[1] (through the non-less heroic contribution of the minute takers:-), and the proposed resolution of yesterday reflected that preliminary discussion. I hope that those minutes, as well as the upcoming clarification of Brent, will help in dissipating your unease and finalizing your opinion.

However. We should realize that it is not up to this Working Group to get into some sort of an official or inofficial review of the new PP itself. I hear you on the difficulties to grasp the process and PP changes overall, but the technical experts on this WG must rely on the preparatory work that had been pursued for a long time (through several TPAC breakouts, email and github discussions, etc) leading to the formal adoption of the new W3C Process and the PP by the W3C AC members. We have to trust our AC representatives to have done the proper job in making PP2020 official by now.

The only question that this WG has to decide, legal details put aside, is whether the central value proposal of the new PP is of an importance enough for this WG to move to PP2020 or whether it decides to complete its work relying on the current PP. In general, this decision must be taken accepting the practical hurdles of formal rechartering, but this would be simplified if we decide to move now to a simple re-joining the group[2]. The central value proposal I was referring to is that the PP protection for would-be implementers of our spec, that usually comes into effect once the Recommendation is published, would also be extended for the CR period of the document's evolution. In other terms, our CR implementers may do their work without any fear of facing patent issues from other members. If that protection is important for the members of this group, then the new PP should be adopted; if it is of no interest for the group then we can close this discussion and the group continues its work without any further ado. The legal details underlying this change is not for this WG to work out.

I also hear you that there may be questions as for the way the PP changes are put forward by the W3C, whether the materials are appropriate for the members to understand the changes, etc. I would propose that you raise these issues with the relevant process group at W3C (which I see you have already done regarding one specific issue, thank you for it). You may also want to contact Philippe le Hégaret or Wendy Seltzer from the W3C team directly; I am sure all people active in working out the changes would welcome any opportunity to improve those materials.

I hope this helps…

Ivan

[1] https://www.w3.org/2019/did-wg/Meetings/Minutes/2020-11-04-did#section2 <https://www.w3.org/2019/did-wg/Meetings/Minutes/2020-11-04-did#section2>
[2] If the move is decided, say, in 2 months, which is entirely possible, then a formal rechartering of the WG will become necessary with a 4 weeks AC vote and all that jazz… Doing it now means a blanket rechartering of the relevant groups by the W3C Management in December with the only action remaining for all members to formally re-join the group. That is a one-time action to ease the transition.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +33 6 52 46 00 43