Re: Introduction of WebI2C and WebGPIO

> On 19 Oct 2015, at 15:39, 전종홍 <hollobit@etri.re.kr> wrote:
>
> Dear Satoru,
>
> Thanks for your information.
>
> Basically, I agree that we need to find some interfaces for controlling the hardware directly by web.
>
> But, I think there is a big clarification point.
>
> Your idea, browser based hardware access, should require “browser on every devices”.
> As you know well, general browser is required many computing resources (memory, computing power).
> Do you think many constrained devices can embed browser engines ?
> How many browser can support it for open source hardwares ?
>
> I think browser based model is not suitable for small limited devices.
> So I think it would be better to consider small JS engine based model (similar with node.js)
> (There are many hardware interface(GPIO, I2C) implementations which is base on node.js already)

Other scripting languages for microcontrollers include Lua (NodeMCU) and micro Python.  The Arduino framework provides a simple way to access IoT hardware using C++ and works on devices that are too constrained for a scripting language interpreter.

Ideally, the interfaces would be conceptually similar across languages, thereby reducing the effort for porting code between them.  This suggests that we should survey existing APIs when it comes to preparing to standardise JavaScript APIs either for embedded browser engines or JavaScript engines like NodeJS, Espruino, Tessel and Kinoma Create.

—
   Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org <mailto:dsr@w3.org>>