Re: Standby API Specification Proposal

Regarding the three proposals on the list related to a possible standby API [1], I think what was noted in the Chromium log is important [2]:

"Applications can receive other forms of input than touch, whereas only touch will prevent the device from sleeping after N seconds”

I suggest that we should attempt to avoid  the risk of apps requesting locks and then not freeing them due to programmer error or other error conditions.  (One denial of service attack might be to disable screen sleep to either cause burn-in or battery drain..)

it seems Dom’s poke proposal gets at the idea of allowing programmatic notice of input other than touch, avoiding the issue of locks

Is it possible that the browser implementation could detect window refresh associated with video or games, thus obviating the need for use of an API entirely in some cases? (that still would not address the use case of viewing a recipe)

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP
@fjhirsch