W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > August 2014

[minutes] draft minutes from DAP 2014-08-21 call

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:34:30 -0400
Message-Id: <061EC8AE-7F29-4CDB-A2F5-952659440D26@fjhirsch.com>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
To: Device APIs Working Group <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Attached are draft minutes from today’s DAP call (2014-08-21). I scribed.

Thanks to Dom for joining despite being in a F2F, for this reason we reorganized the discussion during the call to accommodate, but I tried to straighten in out in the minutes.
I also took care of actions after the call as I said - to spare call time, but this is in the minutes.  Please review the minutes for correctness, please note any changes on the list.

Thanks all, next call 4 Sept ; http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP


# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 21 Aug 2014


See also: [IRC log][4]

## Attendees


    Anssi_Kostiainen, Cathy_Chan, Frederick_Hirsch, Ilya_Bogdanovich,
Mats_Wichmann, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux







## Contents

  * [Topics][5]

    1. [Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements][6]

    2. [Minutes approval][7]

    3. [CfC for CR publication of HTML Media Capture, Light, Vibration][8]

    4. [CfC for LC Battery publication][9]

    5. [Charter planning][10]

    6. [Wake Lock][11]

    7. [Test update][12]

    8. [Network Service Discovery][13]

    9. [Action review][14]

    10. [Issues][15]

    11. [Other Business][16]

    12. [Adjourn][17]

  * [Summary of Action Items][18]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 21 August 2014

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

### Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

Reminder, TPAC registration is open (however, DAP has no plans to meet)

News related to W3C process updates. For specs apart from wake lock we will
continue to use old process.

see [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Aug/0012.html][20] and [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-

anssik: regarding process change, ReSpec has flag which refers to which
process version

... fyi, one line config change in ReSpec to deal with process version

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 7 August 2014


**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 7 August 2014 are approved**

### CfC for CR publication of HTML Media Capture, Light, Vibration

CfC, ends 21 Aug: [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

Planned CR publication on 28 August 2014

Please respond on list

fjh: Anssi, thanks for preparing the CR drafts, see

anssi: yes, please all take a look make sure it is ok

fjh: will need director transition call to progress

<scribe> **ACTION:** dom to arrange Director transition call for CR for HTML
Media Capture, Light, Vibration before 28 Aug planned publication date
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action01][25]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-711 - Arrange director transition call for cr for
html media capture, light, vibration before 28 aug planned publication date
[on Dominique Hazael-Massieux - due 2014-08-28].

dom: may not need transition call, but need to review that, may not be able to
do by 28 Aug

<dom> [we need a transition request first and foremost]

fjh: Need formal transition request, explain what happened resolution from LC,
then Dom can use that to determine with Director whether we need a call

... I will make transition request after CfC completes. Let's keep the
publication date until we have better information.

... would like to see if we can all publications together but will determine
that later

... i don't believe any non-substantive changes apart from status section

... language in HTML Media Capture status says "There have been no substantive

... were there any non-substantive changes apart from the status section??

anssi: some references had case changes etc

fjh: ok, will look at diff more closely

... everyone please take a look, respond to CfC on list

### CfC for LC Battery publication

CfC, ends 21 Aug,: [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

Please include draft changes subsequent to CfC email in considering CfC:

Please respond on list, indicating support, including these updates (with [CfC
battery] in subject)

fjh: anssi prepared LC draft, please review

### Charter planning

fjh: how extensive do we want to be about revising the charter, tweak or major

dom: if we don't change it can just extend it

... otherwise need to recharter, or if we want to define a mechanism for
adding new deliverables more easily

... this could be a good idea, but a CfC might not be sufficient for adding
deliverables, could try it

... haven't seen new deliverables

<dom> dom: HTML has extensions specs; CSS may also have a mechanism

<dom> ... WebApps can get stuff from HTML WG

<dom> ... I'll take an action item to look more into this

<dom> **ACTION:** Dom to look into chartering extensibility [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-712 - Look into chartering extensibility [on
Dominique Hazael-Massieux - due 2014-08-28].

### Wake Lock

plan to progress wake lock under current charter: see

support has been noted on mail list:




Use cases published as W3C Note, please note: [http://www.w3.org/TR/wake-lock-

Editors draft status and next steps

fjh: any concerns with the approach of moving this forward under the current
charter? There was support on the list.

... I hear no concern, so we are all agreed, on list as well. We will rely on
editor to bring this forward to WG on list as needed, might want to look at
current draft.

### Test update

Vibration status update? [http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

fjh: anssi, did you get any response

anssik: no, will need to check with him

### Network Service Discovery

fjh: ok to postpone NSD issues since we've stopped NSD

dom: it is a WD not a Note

fjh: ah, right, so we need to decide whether to continue work or publish note

dom: also need to review where we are with Named Web Sockets

<dom> [http://www.w3.org/TR/discovery-api/][36]

<anssik> pub history: [http://www.w3.org/standards/history/discovery-api][37]

fjh: will take action to follow up, we should resolve; my impression is that
we had stopped work on NSD but we need to be more formal about it

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to follow up on status of Network Service Discovery
and plans going forward, also Named Web Sockets [recorded in

<trackbot> Created ACTION-713 - Follow up on status of network service
discovery and plans going forward, also named web sockets [on Frederick Hirsch
- due 2014-08-28].

<anssik> asked if BroadcastChannel addresses the same use cases as Named Web
Sockets proposal

<anssik> also, would like to know if implementers are aware and/or interested
in experimenting with NWS

dom: should check on implementer interest

<anssik> both Firefox and Chrome are experimenting with BroadcastChannel IIRC

fjh: do you have a link?

<anssik> [http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-

anssik: probably in html nightly as well

### Action review


<trackbot> ACTION-706 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Add resolution to lc-2945 to
draft -- due 2014-08-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/706][40]

close ACTION-706

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-706.


<trackbot> ACTION-705 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Add warning to Battery API that
(naive) implementation of API could negatively affect battery life -- due
2014-08-11 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/705][41]

close ACTION-705

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-705.


<trackbot> ACTION-707 -- Frederick Hirsch to Send cfc for cr for html media
capture, ambient light events, vibration api -- due 2014-08-14 --

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/707][42]

close ACTION-707

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-707.


<trackbot> action-708 -- Anssi Kostiainen to to ask zhiqiang to complete
vibration tests -- due 2014-08-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/708][43]

close ACTION-708

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-708.


<trackbot> action-709 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Follow upon on issue-166 and
-- due 2014-08-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/709][45]

close ACTION-709?

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-709.


<trackbot> action-710 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Look at issue-168
[http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/168][46] -- due 2014-08-14 --

<trackbot> [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/710][47]

close ACTION-710

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-710.

fjh: only open actions are those assigned at today's meeting: Dom to arrange
transition call, look into chartering extensibility, Frederick to follow up on
NSD and Named Web Sockets

### Issues

fjh: only open issues are for NSD

... will move all these issues to postponed

### Other Business

Next meeting, scheduled for 4 Sept, [http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html

<ilya> fjh: To summarize, we have CfCs for CR and LC, please review the
publication drafts and respond to the CfCs on the list. I will prepare
transition request, we'll see if we need a transition call for the CRs. if
there is a delay we probably should publish LC as planned since the changes
are important. Dom is looking into the chartering mechanism for adding
deliverables, we need to figure out charter by Oct. Anssi will follow up on
testing. I'll follow up on NSD. Any questions or other items?

<ilya> fjh: none heard

<ilya> no questions

<ilya> bye

### Adjourn

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** dom to arrange Director transition call for CR for HTML
Media Capture, Light, Vibration before 28 Aug planned publication date
[recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action01][25]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** Dom to look into chartering extensibility [recorded in

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to follow up on status of Network Service Discovery
and plans going forward, also Named Web Sockets [recorded in

[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][49] version 1.135 ([CVS

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [4]: http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-irc

   [5]: #agenda

   [6]: #item01

   [7]: #item02

   [8]: #item03

   [9]: #item04

   [10]: #item05

   [11]: #item06

   [12]: #item07

   [13]: #item08

   [14]: #item09

   [15]: #item10

   [16]: #item11

   [17]: #item12

   [18]: #ActionSummary

   [19]: http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

   [20]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [21]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [22]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [23]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [24]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [25]: http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [26]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [27]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [28]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [29]: http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [30]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [31]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [32]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [33]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [34]: http://www.w3.org/TR/wake-lock-use-cases/

   [35]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-

   [36]: http://www.w3.org/TR/discovery-api/

   [37]: http://www.w3.org/standards/history/discovery-api

   [38]: http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [39]: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-

   [40]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/706

   [41]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/705

   [42]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/707

   [43]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/708

   [44]: http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-device-

   [45]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/709

   [46]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/168

   [47]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/710

   [48]: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences

   [49]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [50]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Thursday, 21 August 2014 15:35:01 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:33:11 UTC