Re: Announce a webapp as a Network Services Discovery

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Jean-Claude Dufourd
<jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
> On 12juil. 12:22, piranna@gmail.com wrote:
>> What do you means by "pushing"? Get more people to show interest on the
>> idea?
>>
> JCD: Exactly

Success here would be defined as having multiple independent
implementations in the wild rather than producing API documents for
their own sake. It's important that we get to discuss this API with
other browser vendors and anything we can do to facilitate that
conversation would be helpful.

Getting back to the original question:

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM, piranna@gmail.com wrote:
> I have read the specification of Network Services Discovery and only
> found references about how to browse currently announced services on
> the network, but nothing related about a webapp announcing on the
> network

This very often pops up in discussions relating to this API. Such an
API would unquestionably be very powerful. To date our (Opera's)
priority has been on enabling the consumption of existing networked
services as a stage 1 objective - to see if there was interest in the
community for such an API. I'm not sure we have the API 100% right
just yet so biting off more advanced use cases and building that on
top of a shifting base API could be risky.

Having said that, I hope we get to tackle this topic in DAP and invite
other companies/groups/individuals to present their ideas on this
mailing list.

Best regards,

Rich