Re: Sensor API

Hi Dom,

Concerning Accelerometer, orientation and Gyroscope:

DeviceOrientation spec talks about "The information provided by the events
is not raw sensor data, but rather high-level data which is agnostic to
the underlying source of information." but Sensor API is intended to
provide raw sensor data. In theory there is a subtle difference between
the two. The article at [1] gives a good explanation on the difference
between raw sensor data and smoothed data coming from the accelerometer.

I'm curious to know more about the details of implementation of the
DeviceMotion event, etc with respect to this i.e. If they do some kind of
filtering to eliminate noise or they only provide directly the
acceleration data coming directly from the sensor. I need to investigate
more on this.

In any case I would like to see some kind of convergence / compatibility
between the two mechanisms. I think We need to contact the proposers and
implementors of the Device Orientation event spec to have a more clear
view.

All the best

[1]
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2010/09/08/using-t
he-accelerometer-on-windows-phone-7.aspx

 wouldn't it be nice to align this with the current proposal

El 29/09/11 09:53, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org> escribió:

>Le mercredi 28 septembre 2011 à 19:49 +0200, JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA
>a écrit :
>> At [1] you can find a first editor draft of a proposed Sensor API. It
>> is a contribution coming from a joint effort between interested
>> members in W3C DAP (particularly Dzung)  and the Wholesale
>> Applications Community (WAC). This e-mail is intended to introduce
>> such an API to the whole W3C DAP Community in order to start
>> discussions around it.
>
>Thanks for submitting this, this looks like a very interesting proposal!
>
>I'll look more deeply into it in the near future, but can I already
>suggest removing the accelerometer, gyroscope and orientation sensors
>from the draft, since they duplicate what the DeviceOrientation Event
>specs provide? I think doing so sooner rather than later would help
>avoiding short-term confusion on this.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dom
>
>> [1] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/system-info/Sensors.html

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.