Re: Discovery API proposals: call for comments

Hi,

On 12.10.2011, at 18.19, ext Giuseppe Pascale wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:05:29 +0200, Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> As per the discussion during today's call, I added the following step to the API checklist: "the API should be implementable in pure JavaScript to allow shims for browsers that do not have native implementations":
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/ApiCheckList
>>
>> Sometimes obeying this rule may not lead to the best possible design, thus "should". Feel free to embellish.
>>
> Of course not everything will be implementable in javascript. If that was the case already, then why bothering writing a spec, we should be writing a js library.
> The concept I (we) are trying to push is that, when possible, a design that allow an high level API to be designed on a small set of features embedded into the browser is desirable.

I think we're after the same thing. I mean the API should allow shims, or to be exact polyfills [1], such as [2].

I reworded the statement a bit to make this clearer:

"the API should be implementable in pure JavaScript to allow shims that mimic the API and provide fallback functionality"

-Anssi

[1] A shim that mimics an API providing fallback functionality to older browsers.
[2] https://github.com/Modernizr/Modernizr/wiki/HTML5-Cross-browser-Polyfills