Re: WICDA

On Jun 25, 2010, at 11:07 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 juin 2010 à 10:55 +0200, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>> Very briefly, WICDA provides two things. One is a way of pointing at
>> components in a Web IDL schema.
>> The second thing that it provides are action sheets, that are
>> essentially sequential lists of actions that can use component
>> designators to modify Web IDL items.
>>
>> This is experimental, I'm not sure it's a good idea, not sure that
>> it's useful, not sure that we want it, and if we do that we want it on
>> Rec-track, but it was a quick hack to put together so I thought I'd
>> give it a shot. Thoughts?
>
> I think the Component designators are likely to be useful at some point;
> I'm not yet convinced about the action sheets value, since it's not
> obvious that editing/annotating the WebIDL as such will be useful in
> practice — in other words, I can see usefulness in being able to
> annotate a given WebIDL out of band, but whether these annotations
> necessarily need to be bound to a WebIDL modification is not clear to
> me.

I'm not deeply convinced about the action sheets either, we certainly could achieve interoperability by just saying "In specification Foo, for component designator /blah/blah, add extended attribute [Bar]". But I included them anyway because:

  - They provide a nice, common way of exchanging that information.
  - They're trivial to specify.
  - They're even more trivial to implement (once you already have CDs).
  - I needed to implement them anyway for the REST binding :)

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/