Re: ISSUE-67: Naming of "device"

My option isn't in the list, so I will state it plainly.  My position is that we use:

navigator.<module>.<method>

as

1) .device. offers no real namespace and it is extra characters to type
2) it fit in navigator.geolocation.*

Widgets or other things that do not have a navigator object can root these APIs under a different object (e.g. widget.<module>.method, or even <module>.method)

By the way, the bike shed must be red.

Doug Turner

On Jan 14, 2010, at 6:13 AM, Anssi Kostiainen wrote:

> api, ext, device, service
>
> With tequila? Yes sir!
>
> -Anssi
>
> On 14.1.2010, at 16.02, ext John Kemp wrote:
>
>> api, ext, device, service
>>
>> Are you inviting us for tequila too (in which case, I accept) Robin? ;)
>>
>> - johnk
>>
>> On Jan 14, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am loth to open a naming debate, so as agreed on the call yesterday let's make it swift. I initially planned on doing this on a Friday, but I won't be around tomorrow so today's the new Friday.
>>>
>>> We've resolved to use the navigator.device.<module>.<method> form yesterday (for APIs where it makes sense, naturally). It's been suggested that "device" isn't such a great name, and alternatives have been proposed.
>>>
>>> The following alternative (including keeping things as they are) have been proposed:
>>>
>>> device
>>> service
>>> api