Re: Contacts API

Hi Rich,

The common view is that Timezone is a separate concept to Date; a Date's time value is always normalised to UTC. Given a Date you can resolve the UTC offset by passing it to a Timezone object whereupon rules are applied.

I would look to deprecate the local time methods of the Date object and introduce Timezone - even better if the ICU or Java interfaces could be modelled on as they are for Java and Cocoa (1) (2).

> I think Christopher was alluding to the "timezone" attribute of the Contact interface:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-contacts-api-20101209/#widl-Contact-timezone
I was indeed referring to this.

Thanks for entertaining these thoughts. I'm happy to play a more significant role here if you think it is worthwhile (3) (4).

Kind regards,
Christopher

(1) http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4j/
(2) http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/TimeZone.html