Re: Contacts API

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Christopher Hunt
<huntc@internode.on.net>wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> The common view is that Timezone is a separate concept to Date; a Date's
> time value is always normalised to UTC. Given a Date you can resolve the UTC
> offset by passing it to a Timezone object whereupon rules are applied.

That does sound like a reasonable approach. However with recurring events
(in the Calendar API) we need a way to bind these two objects together at
storage. If we only store the Date value, skip ahead 6 months on a recurring
event, and pass in the Timezone object then things start to go awry.

> I would look to deprecate the local time methods of the Date object and
> introduce Timezone - even better if the ICU or Java interfaces could be
> modelled on as they are for Java and Cocoa (1) (2).

I'd like the ECMA TC-39 group to work on changes to the Date object or
introduce a Calendar object.

Chairs, have any inquiries been made in that direction?

> I think Christopher was alluding to the "timezone" attribute of the Contact
> interface:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-contacts-api-20101209/#widl-Contact-timezone
>
> I was indeed referring to this.

Right.

The confusion is in this attribute's description. This attribute will be
changed to indicate that both timezone offsets and zoneinfo timezone
identifiers are allowed in this attribute.

> Thanks for entertaining these thoughts. I'm happy to play a more
> significant role here if you think it is worthwhile (3) (4).

That sounds interesting. We're particularly looking for input around the
Dates and Timezones and the feedback you've provided is very helpful.

- Rich