Re: UI for enabling webcam use from untrusted content

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Robin Berjon wrote:

> A quick few notes, I've been thinking along similar lines.
>
> First: distinguishing audio and video is sort of a geek approach to
> things.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that we would actually show video and audio
options separately. I just meant those as two different devices. If it
helps, consider instead a built-in iSight vs an external camera, or a
webcam and a joystick controller, or an infrared port, or a CNC lathe, or
digital train controller, or a serial port, or a USB fishtank, or anything
else we might want to expose one day.

> Another related note: how many "devices" (by which I mean things that
> the user perceives as possibly grouped) are we likely to ever want to
> enable simultaneously?

The question is how should we handle it when a Web page asks for more than
we expected any page would ever ask.

> The approach I've been mulling over is an enhanced infobar of sorts. If
> the author requests Video (in the AV sense) you get a regular infobar
> and have to drag (or perhaps just click the icon) of the AV abstract
> device. There can be a little ▾ next to the icon providing further
> options to select a specific input amongst many, or disable parts of it
> if it's a conceptual device grouping many. If discarded, the bar goes
> away. If accepted, it sticks in a form that shows that same icon with an
> active Rec symbol and the appropriate affordance to turn it off
> (including turning it off temporarily, i.e. muting). If a further device
> is requested while one is active, and it is also a device that needs to
> be continuously shown, then the infobar+ appears below the "devicebar",
> but activating a device closes it and the device's icon moves up to the
> devicebar (possibly with an animation).
>
> It's a little convoluted to explain, but I think it would be reasonably
> straightforward to understand visually as the devicebar would appear
> only upon device activation, would stay only so long as there are active
> devices, and extra devices clearly get added to it. Assuming it's
> possible to grant permanent access to a page/origin, the devicebar would
> reappear. The more I think of it the more that's actually something I'd
> like to already have for Location.

I'd be interested in hearing browser vendors' opinions on this.

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Tran, Dzung D wrote:

> I don't think the user thinks in that way when it come to video chat.
> Just take the example of Google Video Chat. The user knows that he is
> going to video chat with his friend. He just click on his friend name
> and the video window shows up with his friend and they start a
> conversation.
>
> IMHO, All this with enable/disable microphone and webcam devices is a
> user experience problem.

I agree, but what UI would you propose to let the user distinguish Google
Video Chat from Hostile Evil Corp?