RE: [contacts] Propsed addition of <input file> extensions to Contacts API

On 1st Dec 2009, at 14:03, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2009, at 13:40 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> > Le mardi 01 décembre 2009 à 14:30 +0100, Robin Berjon a écrit :
> >> With <input type=contact> the user gets a text field. Neither of
> >> those is a really nice experience.
> >
> > But in both of the markup options, the <input type='foo'>
> field could
> > be conditionally added by the script based on detecting support for
> > the API.
>
> Yes, I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's not
> necessarily ideal - in other words, we should look at the
> ramifications.
>
> Another option, which may just be crazy:
>
> <form enctype='something-magic-about-dap-contacts' onsubmit='foo()'>
>   <input type='text' name='given-name'/>
>   <input type='text' name='family-name'/>
>   <!-- other stuff -->
> </form>
>
> On implementations that support this entry point, you'd get a
> way of selecting contacts, triggered from the magic enctype.
> On older implementations, you fall back to the form.
>
> I'm not saying it's a great way to go about it, just that
> there may be other alternative markup-based entry points (and
> that in some cases there won't be a good markup option).

So is it important to include a markup annex (whatever it actually looks like) in our specs before FPWD or should we just include a note in the draft that we are also looking in to additional options (as Robin suggested)? i.e. is it on the critical path RE: browser integration?

Thanks,

Richard