Re: [contacts] Comments on editors draft of Contacts API

On Dec 1, 2009, at 14:37 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le mardi 01 décembre 2009 à 14:26 +0100, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>> To clarify my intent, what I'm interested in finding is the smallest
>> set that is implementable everywhere *today* and *without
>> optionality*.
>
> I see value in that approach, but I think it’s worth noting that as soon
> as we go for the lowest common denominator, we drop the use cases of
> making a Web app your addressbooks manager since the said Web app
> wouldn’t be able to see (let alone edit) values that are outside of the
> LCD.

Indeed, that's the trade-off we have to make. It's not a nice one, but then that's why people pay us money to work on this stuff.

> I personally think that leaving that use case for v2 is fine.

Agreed, and I would like to stress (again) the fact that delivering a v1 with everything in 2011 isn't any better than delivering a v1 in 2010 with a subset and a v2 in 2011 with everything :) In fact, I'd argue it's a fair bit worse!

> (a similar discussion is likely to arise for the Calendar API — I think
> we’ll need to be much more careful for that one)

Yes. Let's solve Contacts, see how it works out, and try to apply the solution to Calendar.

--
Robin Berjon
  robineko — hired gun, higher standards