Re: ACCESS' input, was: RE: Proposal for new WG to specify "Concrete APIs"

On 4/30/09 12:29 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> On Apr 30, 2009, at 11:55 , Marcin Hanclik wrote:
>> I do not claim that W3C is slow (quality and process matters for me as
>> well) and agree with your comments on this.
>> My issue is that on the implementation level you cannot distinguish WD
>> from CR/PR/Rec.
>
> Yes, you can, it's called an alpha version. This is very clearly the
> case of an API that may change and for which the authors do not
> guarantee that they won't break compatibility. WGs don't generally
> object to having people implement drafts early, so long as said people
> make it clear to their customers that they're not selling a stable long
> term solution, and so long as they don't claim conformance to anything.

Exactly. Vendors SHOULD NOT provide legacy support for unfinished spec
implementations. Developers beware! and shame on vendors that do this
for they are the cause of fragmentation that standardization is trying
to overcome.

Besides, this also means a test suite would need to be built for every
working draft published for vendors to claim conformance to a working
drat. Another tasks that is totally unfeasible.

>> But now WD=CR=PR=Rec. People simple do not know what they buy.
>
> If anyone is getting the impression that WD=CR=PR=Rec the vendors are to
> blame I'm afraid.

Agreed.